Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is one of my main stand ins during winter months when I crave slow cooked flavors of beef. Horseradish and hint of curry may sound strange, but these two flavors go extremely well together. This recipe is not a beef curry recipe. Instead, a small amount of curry is used as a backdrop flavoring only....just a hint of curry and not meant as a curry dish. I love this simple rustic dish. It is a bit Asian and mostly Western inspired. Do not use Asian/Korean style thin beef short ribs used mainly for quick grilling. Although other cuts of beef will work (cubed), beef short ribs is best for this recipe. This recipe will work really well in crock pot too.
- 3 lbs short rib of beef
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon molasses or 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper. Coat beef short ribs with flour mixture lightly.
- Heat 2 T oil oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat and brown beef short ribs until nicely browned on all sides. Do in batches. Remove and set aside.
- In a large baking pan with a cover or roaster with a cover or foil, combine onions, Worcestershire sauce, curry, molasses, water, and ginger. Place beef short ribs in the mixture and cover snugly. Bake 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and horseradish.
- Serve beef short ribs with a horseradish and sour cream sauce.