Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
The same recipe as my curried yam with mango soup, except this is a main dish (Curried Yam and Mango Soup)- in other words not pureed. Serve over basmati rice, brown basmati rice or jasmine rice.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 1⁄2 cups yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup sliced yellow onion, cut into crescents
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, to taste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (depends on how hot you want the soup) or 1 small jalapeno, finely minced
- 1 cup diced mangoes or 1 cup diced papaya
- chopped cilantro leaf (to garnish)
- basmati rice or brown basmati rice, cooked
- While the rice is cooking, in a large saute pan, melt the butter or ghee and the peanut oil over medium heat and brown the yams until golden on all sides, about 10-12 minutes and until fork tender.
- Next add the onions and brown until softened. Add the curry powder, fresh ginger, coriander, red pepper, and mango; stirring well to coat. Heat through. Season with salt to taste.
- Arrange the rice on a large serving platter and top with the yam/mango mixture.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
- Cooking time does not include cooking the rice.