Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chervil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (, for garnish)
- In a saucepan bring water to a boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute onion until golden brown; add mushrooms and celery.
- Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly.
- Gradually add broth; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Boil, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add cooked rice, half and half, sherry, salt, white pepper, curry powder, dry mustard, paprika and chervil.
- Simmer until heated through.
- Serve hot and garnish with parsley.