Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This is my favorite thing to do with wild rice. It freezes well.
Make and share this Curried White & Wild Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 ounces sweet butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add wild rice and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Drain well.
- In a large heavy dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add scallions, green pepper and mushrooms and saute, stirring until softened, 4-5 minutes .
- Add parboiled wild rice and long grain rice and toss well to coat with butter.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and bake on center shelf of oven until all liquid has been absorbed, about 40-50 minutes .
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Was looking for a differant way to make wild rice for a side to go with a pork loin and so glad I found this. Loved the blend of flavors and the combination of white rice (I used jazmine) and wild rice. Didn't have scallons (can't believe I was out) or green peppers but the flavoring and directions given where spot on. This will be enjoyed often.
Best use of wild rice I've come across. I'd suggest the following changes: Double or triple the scallions. Double or triple the green pepper. Make it a whole pound of mushrooms. Add a can of cream of mushroom soup. Add a can of coconut milk. Use olive oil instead of butter. One slight pinch more salt. Perhaps another half tablespoon curry powder. Keep everything else the same.
This had a very nice flavor. I did omit the green pepper for my kid's sake and cut back on the curry powder to about 3 tsps. I'd make it again but probably add more white rice. Thanks.