Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I modified a recipe for a cold rice chicken dish, by omitting the mayonnaise dressing and the result was delicious. The test was when my picky 15-year old son came into the kitchen asking "what smells good?", and then he ate every bite. The flavor of the rice is a gentle mild curry with a hint of lemon,and very light. The chicken and peppers are just slightly seasoned to retain their natural flavors.
- 1 -2 lb cooked boneless skinless chicken breast (chopped or cubed)
- 14 ounces chicken broth (I used the broth made from boiling the chicken)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups instant rice
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I used fresh)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- Combine in large deep saucepan 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth, water, tarragon, curry, ginger and lemon juice.
- Add instant rice, bring to boil and remove from heat and cover and let stand 5-7 minutes. (Note: follow package directions for the correct rice and liquid measurement amounts and adjust if necessary).
- In small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium and sauté onion 1 minute, add peppers and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Stir in cooked chicken,remaining chicken broth (about 2-4 Tablespoons)and add garlic powder, and simmer covered for 1-2 minutes until heated through (watch so peppers don't get overcooked).
- Spoon chicken and vegetables over the rice and serve warm. Garnish with lemon slices (optional).