Recipe by Dancer^
This salad adds a wonderfully crunchy texture to any menu. My version eliminates the mayonnaise, and thus the cholesterol, and contains no dairy. Points 3.
- 1 cup silken lite soft tofu
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped raw almonds
- 3 cups celery, without leaves, diced
- 4 Red Delicious apples, cored and diced to make 6 cups (2 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped chives or 1⁄2 cup green onion top
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- If possible, make the dressing several hours before you intend to serve.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in food processor and blend until satin smooth.
- (Makes 1 cup.).
- Toast the chopped almonds in a preheated 350 degree oven until lightly browned. Watch carefully, as they burn easily.
- Set aside.
- Combine celery, apples, chives/onions and raisins in a large bowl.
- Toss with dressing until thoroughly mixed.
- Place 3/4 cup salad on each of 8 chilled plates and top with 1 tablespoon toasted almonds.