Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
The recipe was adapted from the "vegetarian epicure, book two" by anna thomas. A delicious vegetarian curry to serve with basmati rice, raitas, Indian bread and spiced tea or ale.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, cut in one-inch lengths
- 1 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, cut in strips
- 1 hot green chili pepper, minced
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, flaked
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pimento pepper, sliced
- 2 1⁄3 cups yogurt
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot, or a wok, and saute the garlic, ginger, and onions until the onions begin to show color.
- Add the mustard seeds, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne, and stir over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, green beans, green onions, bell peppers, and hot chiles and stir fry the spices for a few minutes, then add the coconut, water, salt, and sugar.
- Stir well, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue simmering, stirring often, until the liquid is reduced by over half.
- Stir in the pimento strips and yogurt, cook a few minutes more over high heat and taste.
- Correct the seasonings, if necessary, and serve.