Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
I saw a recipe in a cook book and made a bunch of changes to my liking. This is what I ended up with. Because cardamom is so expensive I used ground cinnamon instead. I also use extra-firm lite tofu to reduce fat. You could probably substitute apple juice for wine. My husband loved it. So did I.
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch chunks (3 cups)
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices (2 cups)
- 1 large red onion, cut into strips (1 cup)
- 3 medium apples, cut into 1/2 inch chunks (3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cubes or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 5 cups prepared couscous
- In a 4 quart crockpot combine potatoes, carrots, red onion, apple cubes, spices, tapioca, wine, water and bouillon cube.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- At the end of cooking time if using low-heat setting, turn to high and add tofu, zucchini, peas and raisins.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. Serve over hot couscous.
I had just the opposite results with this recipe than the last reviewer. This turned out wonderful with all ingredients blending very well while retaining their individual flavor. My husband's very carnivorous Great Aunt and Uncle arrived from out of state unexpectedly and we served them the leftovers. They had never eated tofu in their lives and loved this meal! I would highly recommend it.
I made this recipe as it was, by the book, and I'm sorry to say that it was pretty revolting. It smelled great when I put it in the slow cooker and I looked forward to it all day, but by the time I got home, it was a disgusting, over-spiced, mushy mix that didn't have any character except that of really crappy curry. The cardamom, a spice I usually love, was way too overpowering. And the raisins, which I also love, seemed entirely out of place. I love my crock pot and use it all the time for vegetarian recipes, but this dish was so bad we couldn't finish our dinner and we threw the rest away. Maybe a one-time fluke? I won't try it again. We had vegan friends over for a last-minute dinner and I was really embarrassed at the result.
I just made this recipe as my first ever slow cooker dish and it is ablsolutely delicious. If this is a sign of things to come, I am most delighted!