Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you want to "kick up the flavor" of a soup in a big way, curry is the way to go!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 -4 cups cauliflower florets, small, to your taste
- 1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup canned crushed tomatoes or 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- Heat oil in a medium-size soup pot over moderate heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and curry powder and cook over low heat, stirring, for 1.
- Add the vegetables, stock, tomatoes and salt, bring to a boil, reduce the.
- heat to moderately low, and cover.
- Simmer just until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- While the vegetables cook, whisk the sour cream and flour together in a.
- small bowl.
- Add a ladleful of the broth to the mixture and whisk again.
- When the vegetables are tender, stir the sour cream mixture into the soup.
- Simmer, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes; don't worry if there are small.
- lumps of flour in the soup, they should cook out.
- Briefly whisking the broth might help.
- Taste the soup before serving, adding a bit more salt, if necessary.
- Makes 5 to 6 servings.