1/2 Photos of Curried Vegetable Pasty
1 hr 30 mins
Pie Queen's Note:
This is a spicy vegetarian pasty. You can adjust the amount of chili depending on how hot you like it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 small red potatoes (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2Try to keep all ingredients as cold as possible, rub the fats into the flour and salt. until you get a bread crumb consistency.
- 3Add just enough iced water to make a dough that comes clean away from the bowl.
- 5In a large wok heat the oil on high. When the oil is hot add the cumin seeds. To test whether the oil is hot enough, drop a couple of seeds and you should hear a popping sound.
- 6Add the diced potatoes and cook for 5-10 minutes until the potatoes begin to soften.
- 7Add the carrots, peas, salt, spices and lemon juice.
- 8Cook for a further 15 minutes on medium heat. Turn the oven to 350°F.
- 9Roll out on a floured surface to a narrow strip.
- 10Fold in three, give a quarter turn so one of the open ends is towards you and roll out again. Repeat three times.
- 11Cover pastry and leave to rest in fridge 20-30 minutes. Take care to roll away from you and do not break the air bubbles that will rise.
- 12Place filling into the center and moisten the edges, bring them together and seal in the center. Make a couple of vents to allow steam to escape.
- 13Cover the pastry with milk or egg wash and bake for 50-60 minutes.
Browse Our Top For 1 Or 2 Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All For 1 Or 2 Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Vegetable Pasty
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1663.4
- Calories from Fat 1068
- Total Fat 118.7 g
- Saturated Fat 47.6 g
- Cholesterol 122.6 mg
- Sodium 2991.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 132.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 20.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cumin coriander powder