Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this YEARS ago from a magazine running a 5 meals in 5 hours article. I LOVE this dish. I think it was the first time I'd ever had curry and I've been hooked ever since.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 unbaked pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 ounces plain yogurt or 8 ounces sour cream
- chutney (optional)
- If turkey is frozen, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- For filling, in a 10-inch skillet cook turkey and onion till turkey is brown.
- Drain off any fat.
- Stir in the green pepper, carrot, raisins, curry powder, salt cumin and pepper, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- If necessary, remove cover and cook over high heat 3 to 4 minutes or till liquid is evaporated.
- Spoon filling into a bowl and let cool.
- Let frozen pie crusts stand at room temperature while the filling cools.
- To assemble turnovers, unfold/unroll/roll-out pie crusts; sprinkle with flour.
- Place crusts, floured side down, on a baking sheet.
- Spread half of the filling over half of each crust, leaving a 1-inch edge along the outside.
- Moisten edge with water.
- Gently lift and fold other half of pie crust over filling.
- Seal and flute edges.
- Wrap each turnover separately in foil; seal, label, and freeze.
- SERVE IMMEDIATELY: Brush turnovers with beaten egg.
- Cut slits in dough to let steam escape.
- Bake in a 375°F oven about 25 minutes or till golden brown and heated through.
- Serve as above with yogurt, sour cream and/or chutney.
- If frozen plan to cook for 40 to 45.
This is a great recipe for ground turkey. The curry flavor is mild but makes a nice change from the usual. Thank you so much for posting this, I lost my copy and wanted to make it. Good Job