Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this up when I did not know what to do with the turkey sent home with us from Thanksgiving dinner at an aunt's house. My husband is not a big casserole fan but he loved this and told me to "write it down so we can have it again!" So I thought I would share it with you. I especially like the addition of the chopped raosted almonds.
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thin
- 4 fresh mushrooms, coursely chopped
- 1 cup chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted almonds
- 1⁄2-1 1⁄2 teaspoon curry, according to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (I use low sodium, low fat)
- 1 3⁄4 cups water or 1 3⁄4 cups broth
- 2 cups chopped leftover turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttered bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Mix all ingredients except topping in a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Bake covered in 375 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes or until rice soft and liquid absorbed.
- Remove cover.
- Top with buttered bread crumbs, then parmesan and then almond slices.
- Bake 15 minues more or until golden brown.