These burgers and the accompanying sauce both have incredible flavor, and this recipe happens to be one of my husband's favorites. I always pan-fry them, though, and have never tried cooking them on the grill because they are pretty wet. I also usually make the patties earlier in the day, put them on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover and refrigerate until ready to cook, and this helps them stay together. -adapted from Bon Appetit
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon plain nonfat yogurt, plus
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 5 tablespoons mango chutney, mashed if chunky
- 2 3/4 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 7 tablespoons chopped green onion tops
- 7 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped tart green apple
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 5-inch pitas or 4 6-inch pitas
- chopped lettuce
- 1Shake mustard seeds in medium skillet over medium/low heat until seeds begin to pop, about 2 minutes.
- 2Transfer seeds to a large bowl and mix in applesauce, 1 tablespoon yogurt, 2 tablespoons chutney, 2 teaspoons curry powder, salt and cayenne.
- 3Mix in turkey, 4 tablespoons onion tops and 4 tablespoons mint.
- 4Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties (I usually shape into five).
- 5In small bowl, mix apple, 3/4 cup yogurt, 3 tablespoons chutney, 3/4 teaspoon curry powder, 3 tablespoons onion tops and 3 tablespoons mint.
- 6Set aside.
- 7Prepare barbeque (medium heat), or preheat large skillet.
- 8Spray burgers with nonstick spray and cook about 5 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- 9Cut 1 end off each pita; fill with a burger, some lettuce and some of the yogurt mixture.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Turkey Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.7
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 79.2 mg
- Sodium 546.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 26.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: