I can't believe that this student staple isn't on Zaar somewhere, but I certainly can't find it anywhere! This is my slightly more grown-up adaptation of the old store-cupboard standby where you take a can of tuna, a can of sweetcorn and a can of condensed mushroom soup. You can serve it with rice, or pasta, or toast, or baked potatoes...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 185 g canned tuna, drained (a standard medium can)
- 225 g sweetcorn, drained (a standard medium can)
- 1/2 pint milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornflour (depends on how thick you like your sauce)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh coriander (optional) or 1 -2 tablespoon parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1Chop the onion, and soften it in the butter with the curry powder.
- 2When the onion is soft, remove the pan from the heat. Toss in the drained tuna and drained sweetcorn, and stir thoroughly.
- 3Dissolve the cornflour in a little of the milk, then add all of the milk and the cornflour-milk mixture to the contents of the saucepan. Beat rapidly with a wooden spoon.
- 4Return the pan to the heat, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- 5When the sauce is bubbling and thickened, stir in the lemon juice and coriander/parsley, then season with salt and pepper.
- 6Serve hot, with rice or pasta or toast or baked potatoes.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Tuna & Sweetcorn Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.2
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 71.1 mg
- Sodium 798.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 30.2 g