Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I can't believe that this student staple isn't on Zaar somewhere, but I certainly can't find it anywhere! This is my slightly more grown-up adaptation of the old store-cupboard standby where you take a can of tuna, a can of sweetcorn and a can of condensed mushroom soup. You can serve it with rice, or pasta, or toast, or baked potatoes...
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 185 g canned tuna, drained (a standard medium can)
- 225 g sweetcorn, drained (a standard medium can)
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornflour (depends on how thick you like your sauce)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh coriander (optional) or 1 -2 tablespoon parsley, chopped (optional)
- Chop the onion, and soften it in the butter with the curry powder.
- When the onion is soft, remove the pan from the heat. Toss in the drained tuna and drained sweetcorn, and stir thoroughly.
- Dissolve the cornflour in a little of the milk, then add all of the milk and the cornflour-milk mixture to the contents of the saucepan. Beat rapidly with a wooden spoon.
- Return the pan to the heat, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- When the sauce is bubbling and thickened, stir in the lemon juice and coriander/parsley, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, with rice or pasta or toast or baked potatoes.
I thought this was really good - quick, simple, and I had all the ingredients handy. I added a few diced carrots in with the onion, (just for some extra colour and nutrition), and served it over rice. Will make again, thanks for posting!
QUick and easier, and easy to double. added a hint of nutmeg, ginger and a little garlic, just out of habit. Thanks for sharing
A really great, easy supper recipe, using items that I had in my cupboard. My picky husband had 2 helpings. I served it over white rice.