Recipe by *Marli*
My mum used to make this when I was younger. It is great to take to work as lunch. Prep time is a guess.
Top Review by Judi O
Thank you so much for posting this! I came onto recipezaar this morning specifically looking for this recipe. I was given the recipe years ago but can't find it. I loved it and I haven't made it in years. I'm going into the kitchen now to make it again! Thank you!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 90 g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water (approx)
- 1 (425 g) can tuna
- 60 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 onion
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 45 g cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the base: Sift flour into a bowl, rub in butter, add egg yolk and enough water to mix to a stiff dough; refridgerate 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry to fit base of a rectangle tin (16 x 26cm).
- For the filling: Spread well drained tuna over the pastry.
- Saute chopped onion& chopped celery in 15g butter, until onion is transparent; spread over tuna.
- Melt remaining butter, add flour and 2 tsps of curry powder, stir until smooth.
- Add milk gradually, stir until sauce boils& thickens, reduce heat, add 30g grated cheese, stir until melted; add salt& pepper.
- Add lightly beaten eggs, mix well.
- Spread the cheese sauce evenly over the onion& celery.
- Combine remaining grated cheese, remaining curry powder and paprika, sprinkle on top of slice.
- Bake in a moderate- hot oven for 10 minutes, reduce heat to moderate, bake further 25- 30 minutes or until golden.