Recipe by justcallmetoni
A crunchy flavor packed tuna salad that would work great for lunch or a light supper. The original recipe first appeared in Jolie Warner's "take a can of tuna" and as presented includes my modifications. What distinguishes this recipe is the addition of fresh basil which adds a sweet grassy flavor in contrast to the heat of the curry. Serve sandwiches with a crispy salad and enjoy. You could also turn this into an entree salad and serve pita wedges on the side. As presented, this is intended to be eaten shortly after preparation. If you are planning to chill it a few hours, I would suggest scaling back the curry powder as the flavor grows stronger and overshadows the other flavors in the salad.
Top Review by Sarah_Jayne
I really enjoyed this sandwich for lunch today. It was a bit like coronation chicken (but with tuna, obviously) which is a dish I really enjoy but the basil was something I never would have thought to add and it gave it a different lift. I used a medium curry powder because I am a spice wimp and it was all well balanced for my taste buds.
- 6 ounces albacore tuna in water or 6 ounces light chunk tuna in water
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free mayonnaise or 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise or 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lime zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 tablespoons celery, diced (use a smaller inside rib)
- 2 tablespoons red onions, small dice
- 1⁄4 cup currants or 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup granny smith apple, cored and small (not fine)
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, shredded
- 4 -6 leaves bibb lettuce (or whatever lettuce you prefer)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 whole wheat pita bread, cut in half (use the large kind, if using small you will need 2-3)