Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is such a wonderful canning recipe. I use these tomatoes for "everything" from my Spaghetti sauce, soups, stews to Salas's. My DH & I love putting them up as this recipe was handed down to my DH's from his grandmother. My DH helped make this canning recipe with his mother for years it is a favourite of his and mine! We get our tomatoes from a farmer's family who have grown beautiful hot house tomatoes for year's. I was told by my MIL & DH that I had incorrectly titled the tomato recipe OOPS! Bon Appétit!
- Cut tomatoes & slice onions put in a very large pot.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Let stand overnight.
- Drain liquid off.
- Cover with vinegar and bring to a boil.
- When tomatoes are boiling add sugar.
- Boil for 30 minutes.
- Add mixture of mustard, curry with 1 oz of vinegar.
- Boil for 20 minutes longer.
- Mix flour or cornstarch with 1 oz of vinegar.
- Add to boiling tomatoes boil another 10 minutes.
- Put in sterilized jars with clean dry sealers.
- Note: boiling time depends on how thick you want the tomatoes for the final product.