Recipe by Stay in the Bay NZ
This is a gorgeous relish to go with most meats and fabulous in sandwiches with cheese, great to serve as a relish with cheese and antipasto platter.
- 1 1⁄4 kg firm tomatoes
- 1⁄2 telegraph cucumber
- 500 g onions
- 3 large apples
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons curry powder (hot)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch Tomatoes to remove skin.
- Chop peeled tomatoes into cubes, cut peeled onions into 1cm cubes, cut peeled and cored apples into 1cm (½ in) cubes, peel cucumber and cut into cubes taking out the seeds.
- Combine tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and apples in large bowl, sprinkle salt over – cover and stand for a few hours overnight.
- Combine vinegar and sugar in large pan, stir over heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil, add drained vegetables, bring back to boil, reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Mix flour, curry powder, garlic and turmeric to smooth paste with water, add to pan, stir until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or slightly longer to get to the consistency that you like.
- Remove from heat, pour into sterilized jars.