Michelle Kasper's Note:
I got this recipe from cooking club magazine. It's very aromatic and tastes wonderful and creamy. The recipe omits the part about blending until smooth but we like it that way. You can leave it chunky if you like chunky soup. This is a great way to use pumpkin, my fall favorite, in something other than a dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pure pumpkin
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers or 1 cup orange bell pepper
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Heat oil in Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat until hot.
- 2Add onions; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- 3Add garlic, curry powder, ginger and crushed red pepper; cook 2 minutes.
- 4Add broth, tomatoes, pumpkin, tomato paste, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and salt.
- 5Increase heat to high.
- 6Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low.
- 7Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Puree in food processor or blender until smooth and pass through sieve.
- 9(Soup can be made up to 1 month ahead and frozen. Thaw in refrigerator. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat; continue with remainder of recipe.) Pour back in Dutch oven and add cream; cook 5 minutes, sitrring occasionally.
- 10(If using half-and-half, do not let boil.) Garnish with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Tomato-Bell Pepper Soup
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.5
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 40.7 mg
- Sodium 599.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 7.2 g