Adapted from _America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook_. I serve this with jasmine rice as a quick weeknight dinner. As written, the amount of heat in this dish is pretty low (my 8 year old daughter doesn't have much of a fire-tongue yet), so adjust the amount of red pepper flakes and curry powder to your taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons curry powder or 2 teaspoons curry paste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, patted dry and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 large red onions or 1 large vidalia onion, halved and cut into bite size wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 carrots, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 12 ounces snow peas or 12 ounces sweet peas
- 1For the sauce: whisk together the first five ingredients.
- 2For the stir-fry: Combine the garlic, scallions, ginger, water, curry and 1 Tablespoon of the oil and set aside.
- 3Toss the tofu with salt and pepper to taste. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok or non-stick skillet over high heat. Add the tofu and cook, turning the cubes to lightly brown on several sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer the tofu to a bowl.
- 4Add the last tablespoon of oil to the skillet and heat until it's shimmering. Add the carrots, onion and pepper and cook until they begin to soften - about 2-3 minutes.
- 5Add the peas and immediately clear a space in the center of the wok or skillet by pushing the vegetables to the side. Pour the garlic mixture into the middle and cook until fragrant - about 30 seconds. Stir to combine the garlic mixture and the vegetables.
- 6Return the tofu to the skillet. Whisk the coconut sauce to recombine it and add it to the skillet. Toss the ingredients together until well coated with the sauce. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Tofu Stir-Fry With Coconut Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 682.7
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 35.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 285.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 63.7 g
- Protein 17.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: