Recipe by COOKGIRl
The weekly scenario: home from the farmers' market with lots of produce and I'm hungry!
- 4 slices cheddar cheese bread, toasted
- 16 ounces soft tofu, mashed
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (homemade is best!)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons carrots, finely minced or 2 tablespoons shredded carrots
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 dash garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
- 12 -16 fresh basil leaves
- 16 slices cucumbers or 16 slices lemon cucumbers
- fresh ground black pepper
- additional mayonnaise or yellow mustard, for spreading
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast the bread.
- In a bowl mash the tofu with a fork until the tofu has the consistency of egg salad. Stir in the mayonnaise, curry powder, onion, carrot, celery and leaves, salt, and dash of garlic.
- Spread each slice of toast on one side with mayonnaise or mustard. Top with 4 slices of cucumber and 3-4 basil leaves.
- Spread the other slice with the tofu spread. Garnish with black pepper. Carefully place on top of the other slice of bread.
- Serve with fresh seasonal fruit!