Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a really really interesting recipe which uses a unique blend of spices. Really, I've never seen anything like it. I initally thought it looked a little "hippy dippy" but gave it a try because I was so intrigued. Glad I did - super delicious and a totally new flavor!
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- cheddar cheese
- 4 tortillas
- Sautee the onions in pan with a little bit of oil.
- Add tofu and spices and cook until tofu is firm and browned well on all sides.
- Add the thawed spinach, soy sauce and yeast and cook until combined and thoroughly heated.
- Serve as a burrito, with the tofu, cheddar cheese and salsa to taste and diced tomatoes wrapped in the tortilla.
This had a very interesting combination of flavors. I never thought thyme and curry powder would work together, but it did somehow. I added black beans to this, and had it inside of a burrito with cilantro lime rice and pico de gallo.
Makes a quick weeknight meal, which we all enjoyed. The spice blend is very good, liked it a lot. I cut down the soy a little because my package of tofu was smaller than what was called for - I'd recommend tasting before using all 4 tbsp because even still mine was on salty side. Used a few handfuls of chopped fresh spinach instead of frozen, and had to add a little extra oil and liquid. The tofu mixture on its own would have been great with rice. We added some brown rice, Daiya cheez and tofutti sour cream to our burritos, very nice! Thanks Sophie!