Recipe by Kree
This is posted in response to a request for recipes using TVP/TSP. It's from Vegan Cooking by Eva Batt. The serving size is a complete estimate.
Top Review by ladypit
Yummy way to use up my TSP, Kree! I had a little trouble with some of the measurements. Figuring out what was 1 1/2 oz TVP was a bit difficult but I eventually decided on 1/2 cup dry. I omitted the oil and just used a hefty portion of cooking spray. I used garam masala and left out the water chestnuts as I did not have any. I used a granny smith apple and did use the coconut. While the clove flavor was nice, it was a little disconcerting to bite into a clove (and they are too small to find and pull out). I might leave those out or use some powdered cloves. Served over brown rice for an interesting meal.
- 1 1⁄2 ounces textured vegetable protein
- 8 fluid ounces stock or 8 fluid ounces water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons lime juice or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut (optional)
- sea salt
- 1 ounce seedless raisin
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 cloves
- 3 -5 cooked chestnuts
- cooked rice, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer the TVP in stock for 10 minutes.
- Saute the onion in the oil for 10 minutes.
- Gradually sprinkle in the curry powder, stirring all the time until quite smooth.
- Cook for a few more minutes then add lemon juice and the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir in the TVP and simmer, covered, very gently for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of rice.