Sue Lau's Note:
I always enjoy a curry and this is an interesting one with the tempeh being slightly meaty mixed in with the vegetables and potatoes. It does have a little heat from the peppers, but you can omit that if you prefer, or add more if you like. Be careful of the turmeric when cooking, it stains plastic and clothing easily.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package tempeh
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -2 serrano peppers or 1 -2 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 red potatoes, diced
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh lemongrass
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Heat a dry skillet and add cumin and coriander seeds.
- 2Swirl around until fragrant then allow to cool.
- 3Using a mortar or spice mill, grind cumin and coriander and mix together with turmeric; set aside.
- 4In a large deep skillet, brown tempeh on both sides in 1 tbsp of oil.
- 5Cut tempeh into thin strips, then dice.
- 6Add another tbsp of oil to skillet, and when hot, cook onion until tender.
- 7Add the garlic and hot minced chiles, and when fragrant, add the carrot, green pepper, cauliflower, and potatoes.
- 8Sprinkle the ground spices over the vegetables and stir to coat evenly.
- 9Add the tomatoes, ginger, lemongrass, tempeh, and salt.
- 10Cook, stirring mixture, for 3-4 minutes.
- 11Add the stock, and when mixture starts to simmer, cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 12Stir in the lime juice and sprinkle the cilantro over the top before serving.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Tempeh
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 423.7
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 458.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 21.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: