Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I always enjoy a curry and this is an interesting one with the tempeh being slightly meaty mixed in with the vegetables and potatoes. It does have a little heat from the peppers, but you can omit that if you prefer, or add more if you like. Be careful of the turmeric when cooking, it stains plastic and clothing easily.
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package tempeh
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -2 serrano peppers or 1 -2 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 red potatoes, diced
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh lemongrass
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a dry skillet and add cumin and coriander seeds.
- Swirl around until fragrant then allow to cool.
- Using a mortar or spice mill, grind cumin and coriander and mix together with turmeric; set aside.
- In a large deep skillet, brown tempeh on both sides in 1 tbsp of oil.
- Cut tempeh into thin strips, then dice.
- Add another tbsp of oil to skillet, and when hot, cook onion until tender.
- Add the garlic and hot minced chiles, and when fragrant, add the carrot, green pepper, cauliflower, and potatoes.
- Sprinkle the ground spices over the vegetables and stir to coat evenly.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger, lemongrass, tempeh, and salt.
- Cook, stirring mixture, for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the stock, and when mixture starts to simmer, cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the lime juice and sprinkle the cilantro over the top before serving.