1/1 Photo of Curried Sweet Potatoes in Coconut Milk
I found this recipe on a site that was promoting an Asian-flavored Thanksgiving. Even though we don't really celebrate the holiday per se, we adore sweet potatoes and we love Indian cuisine, so why limit ourselves? The original recipe called for yams, but I subbed in the sweet potatoes. Feel free to re-sub the yams. I also adapted the recipe a bit to tailor it more to our family's tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 onion, peeled
- 2 inches fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (don't even think of substituting ground cumin, it's not going to work, read the directions, you'll s)
- 2 whole green cardamom pods (if you can get them)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional, but again, don't leave it out)
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 1Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes.
- 2Place the cubes in a colander and sprinkle liberally with salt.
- 3Let stand 10-15 minutes.
- 4Steam the potatoes for 10 minutes, until just barely soft. (I do this in the microwave for about 5 minutes).
- 5Meanwhile, finely chop the onion, ginger and garlic.
- 6Heat the cooking pan over a moderate flame, add the cumin seed, and cook until they begin to splutter.
- 7Add the chopped onion, ginger, and garlic.
- 8Cook until the onion is a rich golden color.
- 9Add all the spices and season with salt to taste.
- 10Let this cook while you continue with the sweet potatoes (yes, there's more to do with them).
- 11Heat the oil and sauté the already steamed sweet potato cubes until golden brown.
- 12Drain on absorbent paper towels. (I skip this step, just more calories.).
- 13Pour the coconut milk and water into the pot and bring to a healthy simmer. Let it boil, roil and bubble for a few minutes, then add the yam cubes and onion spice mixture, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until nearly dry, but still moist.
- 14When it's done, transfer to a serving platter. Pick out the bits you don't want (like the bay leaf). I leave in the cinnamon stick, my kids like to fight over it, and I like to watch.
- 15Serve hot, garnished with the chopped coriander sprinkled on top.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Sweet Potatoes in Coconut Milk
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.5
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1827.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods