Recipe by StrikingEyes00
I found this in this months Good Housekeeping magazine. Absolutely amazing twist on Shepherd's Pie. This makes 2, so I like to freeze one for another night.
- 5 sweet potatoes (12 oz each)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1⁄3 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth or 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Pierce potatoes all over with fork. Cook in microwave on High 15-17 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork, turning potatoes over once; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, heat 1 Tbls oil on medium-high heat until hot. Add turkey, sprinkle with salt and cook 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Stir flour and curry powder into turkey in skillet; cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add broth and heat to boiling. Cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens slightly. Divide turkey mixture between two 2 1/2 to 3 quart glass or ceramic baking dishes and spread evenly.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Wipe skillet dry. To same skillet, add remaining 1 Tbls oil and heat on medium until hot. Add carrots, parsnips, and onion, and cook, covered, about 15 minutes or until vegetables are browned and tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in ginger, frozen peas, and 1/2 tsp salt. Di vide vegetable mixture between cassweroles, spreading evenly over turkey mixture.
- When cool enough to handle, cut potatoes in half and scoop flesh from skins into large bowl. With potato masher, coarsely mash potatoes. Stir in milk, butter, and 1 tsp salt; mash until well blended. Spread potatoes over vegetables.
- Bake one shephard's pie, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes or until top is browned. Meanwhile, prepare second casserole for freezing.
- To prepare casserole for another night, take out of freezer 24 hours before baking and bake at 375F for 35 to 40 minutes or until internal temp reads 160°F.