Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
These string beans are simple to make and taste delicious.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs string beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Sauté onion in oil until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and sauté briefly.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Add water to just barely cover string beans.
- Mix well.
- Partially cover and cook on low flame for approximately 40 minutes,until string beans are tender and liquid is partially absorbed (the sauce should be thick).
I added potatoes and of course a little more water and salt for them. I found this recipe more delicious with the potatoes than without.
Great dish. Added 2 teaspoons cayenne for added spice. Everyone loved it. I used small string beans and the cooking time was about 20 minutes.
I added extra tomato paste, a couple of extra garlic cloves (crushed), a little extra curry, and I left out the oil. I did have to cook the water down to get a good sauce. Oh, yum yum. I'm addicted.