Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 15 ounces can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced (white and green part)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 (6 ounce) steaks
- Prepare the salsa. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, chili powder and green pepper. Sauté for 1 minute, lower heat to medium and stir in water and black-eyed peas. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in diced tomatoes, mixing well. Transfer to bowl and sprinkle green onions over top. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare steaks. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, pepper, curry powder and lime juice. Brush steaks on both sides with marinade and allow them to rest for 15 minutes, turning once.
- Salt steaks on both sides and grill or broil for about 3 minutes on one side. Turn and grill for an additional 2 minutes on the second side for medium rare. Transfer to plates and spoon black-eyed pea salsa over them.