Recipe by Olha
In this recipe, a portion of the steak is cut into thin strips, skewered, and seasoned (or not) to the children’s liking. The remaining portion of the steak is left whole and seasoned with a spicy rub or orange, curry, and ginger. The pan juices are deglazed with rice vinegar and orange juice concentrate to make a deliciously sweet and sour orange curry sauce. The kids liked their portions on skewers but wanted to try the adult variation too. This meal is inexpensive and quick—a great family meal.
Top Review by e.cerwick
The combination of Vinegar, Orange shavings, Curry and cumin seemed to be a little too much for steak. I would recommend some other spice combination, or excluding 1 or 2 of the suggested spices/ingredients.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs london broil beef, trimmed of visible fat (1 inch thick, divided)
- 2 teaspoons dried orange peel or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut about 1/2 pound of the steak across the grain into strips for the children. Thread the strips onto skewers.
- Mix together the orange peel, ginger, salt, and white pepper. Season the skewers with a little of the mixture, if desired, or any combination that suits the children’s taste.
- Add the cumin and curry powder to the remaining mixture and rub onto the surface of the steak.
- Pan fry the skewers for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Pan fry the steak for 6 to 7 minutes on each side for rare or 8 to 9 minutes per side for medium to well done. Remove the steak from the pan.
- Deglaze the pan with the vinegar and orange juice concentrate. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan. Cut the steak into thin slices diagonally across the grain. Pour the sauce over the slices to serve. Ser ves 2 adults and 2 or 3 children.
- The Whole Family Cookbook. Two Tiered Meals to Please, Both Parents and Kids.