1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002, via FoodNetwork.com. This wonderfully fragrant cold soup is a good way to use up summer squash, and it is a perfect accompaniment to an Indian dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 lbs summer squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 16 small pappadams (lentil wafers)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1In a large, heavy pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- 2Add the garlic, curry powder, salt, turmeric, cumin, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 45 seconds.
- 3Add the squash and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- 4Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is soft, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 5Remove from the heat. With a hand-held immersion blender, puree on high speed.
- 6Add the cream, stir, and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- 7Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until well chilled.
- 8Preheat the fryer to 350 degrees F.
- 9Fry the pappadams in batches until golden and crisp, about 1 1/2 minutes each. Drain on paper towels.
- 10To serve, ladle the soup into shallow bowls. Sprinkle the cucumbers and cilantro over the top and garnish with pappadams.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Squash Soup
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.3
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 89.4 mg
- Sodium 574.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: