Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A tasty vegetable pie. This puffs up like a souffle. This can be a side or a light main dish.
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground Nabisco Triscuits (salted whole-wheat crackers)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups squash, puree
- 3 large eggs, separated,at room temp
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Make crust: Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- Stir together crumbs, pepper and butter and press into bottom and up sides of a 9 inch metal pie dish.
- Bake shell in the middle of the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown.
- Let cool.
- Make filling: Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Cook onion in oil over moderately-low heat, stirring, until it is softened.
- Add garlic and cook mixture, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add curry and cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add squash, egg yolks, beaten lightly, and salt and cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it is hot and thickened slightly.
- Do not let it boil.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they just hold stiff peaks.
- Stir ¼ of whites into squash mixture to lighten and fold in remaining whites with 4 tblsps of the Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon into shell, smoothing and mounding slightly and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in middle of oven for 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden and tester comes out clean.
- Good hot or cold.
Well, Evelyn, I finally took this out of the freezer and baked it! We loved this!! I at this for three days and it kept tasting better and better!! It is a very nice savory pie, densely textured but light as a whole. This pie did not "puff up like a souffle" for me. This might have been due to my freezing it prior to baking, but we loved this anyway. I will make this many times. Thank you for suggesting and posting this!