- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb dried split peas
- 1 carrot
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stockpot, saute the onions in the olive oil over med heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, spices, and salt. Saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add the water and stir well.
- Add the split peas. Cover and bring to a boil. Bring heat back down to med.; simmer for about one hour, until the peas are tender.
- Grate in the carrot and serve.