Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Saw ts on Good Eats, give peas a chance episode and had to try it! Freezes well!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 12 ounces dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Place the butter into a large (4 to 6-quart) saucepan over medium-low heat. Once melted, add the onion and a generous pinch of salt and sweat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sweat for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, making certain not to allow onions or garlic to brown.
- Add the peas, chicken broth and curry powder. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook at a simmer until the peas are tender and not holding their shape any longer, approximately 45 to 50 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Using care and a stick blender, puree the soup until the desired consistency. Watch out for hot splatters.
I also saw this on the Food Network and LOVE IT! My son is always asking me to make more. I do add 1 cup diced carrots to the recipe and also cook it on low in my slow cooker for 10-12 hours. Then you just have to stir it well and the split peas will puree themselves without having to dirty a blender or food processor.