Enhanced flavor with the roasting of the spices, this is quick to make and perfect for a cold winter meal. From The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook. Don't forget to serve freshly baked bread with this soup!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 small red potatoes, skinned and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 celery ribs, with leaves, minced
- 1 small granny smith apple, peeled, seeded, cored and chopped small (or similar tart apple)
- 1/2-1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups yellow split peas (or 1 1/2 cups green split peas)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup freshly cilantro, minced
- 1In castiron skillet on low-medium heat lightly toast the dry spices just until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside in small bowl.
- 2In same castiron skillet heat oil on medium heat, add the diced potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes or until light golden. Next add the onion, garlic, ginger, celery, apple, curry powder, cumin, mustard seeds, coriander and turmeric.
- 3Reduce the heat and saute, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables have softened. Do not burn.
- 4Transfer mixture to large soup pot or crock pot. Stir in the split peas and enough water to cover the peas by 2 inches. For range top directions, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the split peas are soft enough to puree, approximately 20 minutes.
- 5For crockpot, cover and simmer for about 4 hours or until split peas are softened enough to puree.
- 6Once cooked, puree the soup with an immersion blender. Reduce heat to low and stir in the lemon juice and fresh cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Serve hot. Garnish each serving with cilantro sprig if desired.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.1
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 35.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.4 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 20.8 g