Recipe by Bergy
These balls go well with pasta, rice or new potatoes. The curry flavor is mild and enhances the spinach flavour
Top Review by Milla
wow, wow, wow, what a great dish. the amount of curry was a perfect compliment to the spinach, which tasted very rich and creamy when prepared this way. i used the tomato soup and threw it over tomato-flavored angel hair. we were fighting over who was going to get the last ball. this one's going into the permanent repetoire.
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 1 tablespoon lite olive oil
- 1 lb fresh spinach (a large handful for each person)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned condensed tomato soup (or if you prefer used canned cream of mushroom)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the spinach.
- Melt butter (or oil) in a large saucepan.
- Saute garlic and onions until light brown.
- Add chopped spinach, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 min (or until the spinach is wilted).
- Remove from heat and drain the spinach well.
- squeeze it slightly.
- Stir in breadcrumbs,parmesan cheese and the eggs.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Pour sauce (Soup) into a 9" baking dish.
- Mix in curry powder.
- Shape spinach mixture into 2" balls.
- Arrange the balls in a single layer.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Half way through cooking gently turn the balls so the balls are rotated in the sauce.