Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
An interesting meal using shelf stable ingredients, that was written for a solo meal but could be expanded to feed a family.
- 1⁄2 cup Spam, diced
- 1⁄3 cup onion, diced
- 1 (7 ounce) can mushrooms, and the liquid
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup raw rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- Add the olive oil and the butter to a hot 12 inch frying pan, that has a tight fitting lid, and sir until melted.
- Add the onion and saute until transparent, followed by the drained mushrooms and continue to saute the mixture.
- Add the curry powder and spam and when the spam starts to brown, add the rice and stir until all the grains are covered in the oil/butter.
- Add enough chicken broth to the liquid from the mushroom can to bring the total to 2/3 cup of liquid, pour into the pan.
- Put on the cover, lower the heat to the minimum flame and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat DO NOT PEEK and allow to sit for an additional 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the flavors with the pepper.
I am making this again today and realized I never rated it.My whole family loves it.It is quick tasty and easy to throw together after work and al in one pan.Thanks for posting.
This recipe is a MUST for every single person! I love the fact that it uses shelf-stable ingredients and only ONE pan! Yeah! One top of all these perks, it tastes wonderful and is easy to make. Definetely a keeper. Thanks!
I really liked the flavors in this! I was looking for something different to do with rice, and glad I tried this one. My kids were unsure of trying Spam, but they ate the whole thing! (I tripled the recipe except for the mushrooms and used a whole can of Spam.) The directions were very, very clear & easy to follow. This is a keeper for my family! Thanks, Bill! :)