Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
I came across this recipe when I was looking for something to do with one-half pound left over boiled shrimp. I posted the recipe with the cooking times as stated, but I found that after parboiling the zucchini the skin was very soft and had a tendency to tear so be very gentle when working with the skins. You could even just put the stuffing in a casserole dish and bake it and not bother with the zucchini shells. Also, to lighten it up a bit I would substitute chicken broth for the heavy whipping cream.
- 4 small zucchini (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, cooked, peeled & coarsely chopped
- 4 large button mushrooms, sliced & coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Drop into large pot of boiling water and parboil for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove after 5 minutes and let cool until able to handle.
- Gently scoop out pulp reserving shells.
- Drain pulp in colander and mash until fairly dry.
- In large heavy skillet melt butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions to skillet.
- Saute until soft about 15 minutes.
- Add reserved zucchini pulp and seasonings mixing well.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Place reserved zucchini shells on baking sheet.
- Divide shrimp mixture evenly between zucchini shells.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until heated through.