Recipe by Babs7
My sister Cathy made this recipe while she was visiting over the holidays. It is a flavorful soup that warms the insides during the winter months. She originally found the recipe in Yankee Magazine for Curried Vegetable Soup and added in the shrimp.
Top Review by Nose
I bought frozen cooked shrimp to make this, but considered them an optional ingredient until taste-testing. The I decided your sister had exactly the right idea. Also after taste testing, I added black pepper, fresh cilantro leaves, and a dash of fish sauce to bring out the flavor of the shrimp. I used asparagus instead of green beans. I did use the vermicelli, but I think you could use cooked rice.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced (waxy)
- 1 1⁄2 cups green beans, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, very finely diced (1/4 inch)
- 1⁄2 cup fine egg noodles (1 inch pieces) or 1⁄2 cup vermicelli (1 inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 16 ounces cooked shrimp, small (or medium)
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm oil in large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, and gingerroot, and saute, stirring often, until the onions are soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the coriander, cumin, tumeric, and cayenne, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, coconut milk, and salt, then bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Mix in green beans, red bell pepper, and noodles and cook at a lively simmer until the vegetable start to get slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for about 5 more minutes (if frozen, cook until shrimp are heated through).
- Stir in the lemon juice just before serving.
- Serve with bread and enjoy!