Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My sister Cathy made this recipe while she was visiting over the holidays. It is a flavorful soup that warms the insides during the winter months. She originally found the recipe in Yankee Magazine for Curried Vegetable Soup and added in the shrimp.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced (waxy)
- 1 1⁄2 cups green beans, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, very finely diced (1/4 inch)
- 1⁄2 cup fine egg noodles (1 inch pieces) or 1⁄2 cup vermicelli (1 inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 16 ounces cooked shrimp, small (or medium)
- Warm oil in large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, and gingerroot, and saute, stirring often, until the onions are soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the coriander, cumin, tumeric, and cayenne, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, coconut milk, and salt, then bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Mix in green beans, red bell pepper, and noodles and cook at a lively simmer until the vegetable start to get slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for about 5 more minutes (if frozen, cook until shrimp are heated through).
- Stir in the lemon juice just before serving.
- Serve with bread and enjoy!