My sister Cathy made this recipe while she was visiting over the holidays. It is a flavorful soup that warms the insides during the winter months. She originally found the recipe in Yankee Magazine for Curried Vegetable Soup and added in the shrimp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced (waxy)
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1/4 cup red pepper, very finely diced (1/4 inch)
- 1/2 cup fine egg noodles (1 inch pieces) or 1/2 cup vermicelli (1 inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 16 ounces cooked shrimp, small (or medium)
- 1Warm oil in large stockpot over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions, garlic, and gingerroot, and saute, stirring often, until the onions are soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
- 4Sprinkle on the coriander, cumin, tumeric, and cayenne, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Pour in the vegetable stock, coconut milk, and salt, then bring to a boil.
- 6Add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 7Mix in green beans, red bell pepper, and noodles and cook at a lively simmer until the vegetable start to get slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- 8Add the shrimp and cook for about 5 more minutes (if frozen, cook until shrimp are heated through).
- 9Stir in the lemon juice just before serving.
- 10Serve with bread and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Indonesian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Shrimp and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.9
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 149.9 mg
- Sodium 579.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 22.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: