Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A wonderfully spiced lamb, pea, and potato casserole that's not only quick to make but is very filling!
- 6 potatoes, large and mashed with butter
- 2 cups tiny peas, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Mash the potatoes with butter and milk. Season with salt & pepper.
- Brown the meat in a large skillet, and put in colander to drain.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until they are wilted. Add the curry powder, cumin and coriander and cook briefly, stirring.
- Add the meat, salt, pepper, the ketchup, broth and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Put mixture into a baking dish and top with the defrosted frozen peas, then the mashed potato mixture. Smooth over the top. Dot with a tablespoon of butter. Run the mixture under the broiler until it is golden brown.
This was the first dish I tried when I started using lamb. Absolutely wonderful. Will be a regular dish on my menu. Easy and good!