Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Friends of ours who live on the east coast made this while we were visiting. We loved it and make it when we can get fresh fish. Cook time is an estimate.
- 10 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 4 cups peeled and diced white potatoes
- 4 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 5 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 lbs mixed fresh fish, cut into 1 inch pieces (I use cod, halibut, and haddock)
- salt and pepper
- On medium-high heat, cook bacon in a large saucepan for 5 minutes.
- Add onions and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add curry powder, continuing to cook and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add in clam juice, potatoes, butternut squash, and bay leaves.
- Cook and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped kale and simmer until vegetables are almost tender.
- Pour in milk, half and half and add thyme.
- Continue to cook until simmering.
- Ad fish and continue cooking until fish are cooked through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Throw out bay leaves.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve hot.