1/1 Photo of Curried Savoy Cabbage Soup With Mushrooms
My parents grow a lot of vegetables. Although I live quite far away from them and neither of us has a car, I sometimes see my sister. Last time I saw her she gave me a savoy cabbage from my parents. Not being a big fan of cabbages, I was quite happy to find this Curried Cabbage Soup in the new edition of the Swiss cooking magazine called 'KOCHEN' (November 2005). I love spices and I enjoy nearly every dish with curry powder or paste in it. I used a recently bought Sri Lankan curry powder, which - as I found out - happens to be very very hot. The second time I prepared this soup I used half a tablespoon of the Sri Lankan and half a tablespoon of a mild curry powder. This soup makes a lovely starter or a nice meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the savoy cabbage into wedges, core and shred it. Chop the onion. Remove leaves from the thyme sprigs. Peel and cube potato.
- 2Heat half of the butter in a high pan until butter melts. Lower heat and add the shredded savoy cabbage and onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3Add curry powder and mix. Add chopped potato, thyme leaves and stock. Increase heat, add a lid and cook on low/medium heat for 25-30 minutes.
- 4Slice the mushrooms and chop the parsley.
- 5Blend the soup with a hand blender. Add the cream. Check if more water or curry is needed. Season with salt and pepper if necessary. Warm the soup, but don't heat it too much, as the cream may curl (depending on the fat content of the cream and on the temperature you heat it).
- 6Heat the remaining butter in a skillet and fry the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Add parsley when mushrooms are cooked.
- 8Pour soup into bowls and top with mushrooms.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Savoy Cabbage Soup With Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.3
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 84.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: