Cook1 hr 10 mins
Curried sausages are quite popular comfort food in Australia, this is my recipe that I have made commercially for many years and have had lots of compliments for.
- 8 links sausages (beef, chicken, lamb or pork sausages)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 carrots, quartered, then cut into 1/2 in chunks
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fruit chutney
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- salt and pepper
- fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Cover the sausages with cold water; bring to the boil and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Drain, cool, remove skins and cut each into 4 or 5 pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion, garlic and ginger, carrots and potatoes, stirring until the onions are soft. Add the curry powder and cook a minute or two.
- Add the tomato paste, chutney, apple sauce, stock and coconut milk. Stir well, then return the sausage chunks to the saucepan.
- Bring too the boil then cover and simmer about 45 minutes. Remove the lid and allow to cook about 15 minutes more to reduce the sauce a bit. If you can’t be bothered, mix two tablespoon cornflour (corn starch) with 2 tablespoons water and stir this through to thicken.
- 1 cup of peas can be added in the last 15 minutes as well.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with copped fresh coriander.