Recipe by Sara 76
My Mum found a recipe for this dish when I was a kid, and it became my favourite meal! There is another version of this on zaar, but when i made it, the measurements didn't quite work out, so here is the way I cook it...
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
A very tasty recipe which I scaled back for four. I melted the first lot of butter and used two eggs to make the crust. I used cumin instead of curry powder as we don't really like curry powder. I'd never used cumin with salmon but it was a blend which worked really well - a Zaar Kitchen Dictionary recommendation. I did use low-fat milk but I used regular cheese as I cannot abide reduced-fat cheese which I find so flavourless I'd rather omit it. End result: a very enjoyable dish which - since we eat a lot of salmon and enjoy rice dishes - I'll be adding to my regular rotation. Thank you for sharing this family recipe, Sara. Made for PRMR.
- 2 (440 g) cans salmon
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 3 eggs
- 90 g butter
- 90 g butter
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil rice until just cooked.
- Drain, and add butter, eggs, salt, and pepper. Press mixture into a baking dish, creating the base.
- Cover rice with the canned fish.
- Melt butter in microwave. Add flour & curry powder, microwave for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add milk, whisking to keep it smooth.
- Add mayonnaise.
- Microwave for 3 minutes, whisk, and microwave for a further 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and parsley.
- Microwave 1 minute.
- Add eggs, stirring well. Set aside to cool fora couple of minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the fish, top with grated cheese.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese browns.