Curried Salmon Cakes With Fresh Ginger Aioli
- Place the salmon steak and remove skin and bones and slice into small pieces.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, ginger, lime juice and salt to taste. Covered and refrigerate until ready to serve. In a small bowl combine zest of lime, curry powder, cumin, dry mustard, cayenne and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter and sauté the onions over low heat until barely tender but not browned. Add celery, fresh ginger, and garlic, and continue cooking over low heat onions and celery are tender. Stir in Curry-Lime Seasoning and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and mayonnaise until smooth. Add the onion mixture, salmon pieces and 1/2 cup Panko. Mix thoroughly to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to firm the mixture.
- Shape the seafood cakes into 12 disks each about 3/4” thick. Dredge the cakes in Panko place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and refrigerate until ready to sauté and serve.
- In a large skillet, using medium-high heat, heat oil at a depth of 1/2” until a drop of water sizzles briskly when sprinkled into the oil. Put as many seafood cakes as will fit comfortably in the pan and sauté until nicely browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the cooked cakes to a paper towel-lined baking tray, keep warm in a 200º oven and continue cooking the remainder of the cakes. Remove the seafood cakes to individual plates or to a platter, garnish with Fresh Ginger Aioli and slices of fresh lime, and serve.