Recipe by evelyn/athens
Requires 1 hour chilling time.
Top Review by AustinCFos
My suggestions: Needed more of the mango chutney and a little less curry powder for my taste, and I would add some chopped green onion for a savory boost. I made half the recipe, using a Trader Joe's basmati/wild rice blend (it got a little soggy) and I'd use regular jasmine or basmati next time, or even quinoa would be good. I added a little chopped fresh mint and could have used more. People who ate it said it was good.
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 cantaloupe, seeded and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup mango chutney
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil, stir in rice and salt and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse.
- Set sieve over a large pot of simmering water and steam the rice, covered with a kitchen towel and pot lid, for 15 minutes, or until the rice is fluffy and dry.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cool to lukewarm.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 ½ tsps curry powder, the vinegar, oil and salt to taste.
- Add to rice and toss well.
- Stir in raisins and canteloupe.
- In a blender blend yoghurt, chutney and 1 tsp curry powder until smooth.
- Pour over rice and toss well.
- Chill, covered, for 1 hour.
- The rice salad may be made up to 2 days in advance.
- Serve sprinkled with peanuts.