Recipe by Borealis Beegirl
From Cooks Country, September 2008. Preparation time includes cooking time.
Top Review by Penny Stettinius
Beegirl, I made this rice dish to go with some grilled chicken for DD's sleepover dinner and all of the 12-13yolds LOVED it, there was nothing left for the adults. I used 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil and added some grated apple on top of each serving as garnish. I can't wait to do this again. Made and reviewed for Fall PAC 2008.
- 2⁄3 cup raisins or 2⁄3 cup currants
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chipped fine
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine raisins, lime juice and sugar in small bowl, set aside.
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot .
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and rice to boiling water and cook until just tender , about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Drain rice, spread on rimmed baking sheet, and cool completely, at least 20 minutes.
- Melt butter in empty pot over medium heat.
- Cook onion and jalapeno until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add ginger , garlic, and curry and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Off heat, stir in raisin mixture.
- Toss rice, raisin mixture, and cilantro in large bowl until combined.
- Season with salt, serve.
- Salad can be refrigerated for 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.