Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This rice salad has exotic flavors that make a delicious lunch or side dish.
Top Review by rosslare
Fantastic salad, just a tad on a sweet side for us. I would leave the honey out and sub the apple with julienned vegetables, like bell peppers, snow peas, bean sprouts etc... Love the chutney vinaigrette!
- 473.18 ml uncooked basmati rice
- 14.79 ml peanut oil
- 59.14 ml chopped green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml curry powder
- 14.79 ml minced fresh ginger
- 4.92 ml salt (or to taste)
- 828.06 ml water
- 2 apples, diced
- 354.88 ml well drained crushed pineapple
- 118.29 ml diced dried apricot
- 59.14 ml unsweetened flaked coconut
- 59.14 ml chopped of fresh mint
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 118.29 ml mango chutney
- 29.58 ml fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4.92 ml canola oil
- 4.92 ml honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash rice until water runs clear; drain well.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the green onions, garlic, curry powder, ginger, and rice; sauté for about 4 minutes or until the rice appears dry.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and the water.
- Cover and lower the heat to low; cook at a gentle boil until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- Fluff the rice with a fork; cool.
- In a big bowl, add the rice, apples, pineapple, apricots, coconut, mint, and cilantro; stir to combine.
- Dressing: Add all the dressing ingredients to the container of an electric blender; process until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the rice mixture; toss to coat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; serve.