1 hr 10 mins
I love red lentils and this is a mildly spiced vegetarian soup. feel free to add more spices, or substitute basil if you don't like cilantro
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces red lentils, rinsed
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups vegetarian broth (commercial broth or diluted cubes)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney or 2 tablespoons tomato chutney
- 2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream or 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1In a 6-quart heavy bottom pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Stir in the onion, reduce the heat and cook for a few minutes without burning the onion.
- 3Add the garlic, ginger root, jalapeno, curry, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaves and cook, stirring for 2 more minutes.
- 4Add the lentils and broth; bring to a boil.
- 5Cover, reduce the heat and cook at a gentle boil for 45 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- 6Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- 7Stir in the cilantro, lemon juice and chutney.
- 8Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 9Just before serving, reheat the soup; If the soup is thicker than you like, thin it with more broth.
- 10Garnish the soup with dollops of sour cream or yogurt.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Red Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.0
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 5.6 mg
- Sodium 1805.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 17.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: