Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this recipe online and noticed there was nothing else like it on Recipezarr. I really enjoyed it. Add cooked chicken, pork, or lamb meat to it to make a nice summer meal.
- 3⁄4 cup corn oil or 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar or 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lb dried red lentils
- 1 cup currants or 1 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped red onions
- In large bowl, whisk together all ingredients for dressing. Set aside.
- Wash lentils. Cook in boiling water 5-6 minutes or until just tender. Rinse and drain well.
- Add capers, currants and onions to lentils.
- Combine with dressing and let marinate at least 2 hours in the refrigerator before serving.
Great salad. Cut the pepper in half and didn't use all the dressing.
Made for PAC 2010. I'm not sure. I love red lentils, but I didn't the dressing was a bit too sweet and I make dressing like this quite often, but just wasn't sure about the amounts or combination. I didn't have enough time to really play around with it, but something was off for me. The currants and onion went well, but I would of like some other crunch like celery, I didn't enjoy the capers. I don't think they went well. So I'm sorry, I was looking forward to it, but I just didn't like it. I did add some chicken to it as well. I may try again and rework it, but I just didn't enjoy it. I'm sorry