- 3⁄4 cup corn oil or 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar or 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lb dried red lentils
- 1 cup currants or 1 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped red onions
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, whisk together all ingredients for dressing. Set aside.
- Wash lentils. Cook in boiling water 5-6 minutes or until just tender. Rinse and drain well.
- Add capers, currants and onions to lentils.
- Combine with dressing and let marinate at least 2 hours in the refrigerator before serving.