Recipe by Chriztie1502
From The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet Cookbook, by Nava Atlas. Easy to make and freezes very well.
Top Review by Maeven6
I agree with the other person reviewing this recipe that the instructions are off slightly. Never would you add curry powder directly to the liquid soup, not without first putting in in a skillet with a bit of hot oil to enliven the flavors. This is especially true if you purchase your spices from a main stream grocer, as they are most likely old. I also used a few mustard and cumin seeds and only slightly chopped my spinach. Great recipe though simple and basic good food.
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and saute over medium heat until golden.
- Add the lentils and 6 cups water and bring to a simmer. Stir in curry powder, cover, and simmer very gently for 35 to 40 minutes.
- When the lentils are mushy, stir in the spinach and check the consistency. If the soup is too thick, add about 1/4 cup water. Season with salt and additional curry powder, if desired.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes. If time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or so to develop flavor. Heat through as needed before serving.